134th Infantry Regiment Crest

134th Infantry Regiment

"All Hell Can't Stop Us"

35th Infantry Division emblem

Report of Action Against the Enemy

134th Infantry Regiment

January 1 to January 31, 1945

1 February 1945

Transcribed by Roberta V. Russo, Palatine IL, 1/14/2012

SUBJECT: Report of Action Against Enemy

TO: The Adjutant General, Washington 25, D.C.

1. In compliance with the provisions of Par 10 C3, AR 345-105, submitted below is report after action against the enemy for the 134th Infantry covering the period 1 - 31 January 1945.

1 January, 1945

From a defensive position dictated by strong enemy counterattacks noted in the last report, a coordinated attack was launched at 1330. Contact was made with elements of the 167th Volksgrenadier Division, last reported by OB as garrison troops in Czechoslovakia, by the 1st Battalion at 1335. The action of the attack resulted in slight advances, including the capture of a portion of the town of Lutrebois by the 3rd Battalion. Elements of the 28th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron filled the gap between the regiment and the 137th Infantry on the right. Large concentrations of Nebelwerfer fire were received in the Regimental zone.

2 January, 1945

After a night of heavy enemy shelling, the attack was resumed at 0800 by the 3rd Battalion, with the 1st and 2nd Battalions holding their positions and supporting by fire. Heavy opposition was encountered in the village of Lutrebois in the form of small arms, mortar and artillery fire. The 2nd Battalion position was isolated by enemy fire and had to be supplied by strongly reinforced carrying parties during the night of 2 - 3 January. The 901st Regiment of the 130th Pz Lehr Division, the 2nd Regiment of the 1st SS Pz Division, and the 401st Artillery Brigade were identified to the regimental front.

3 January, 1945

Following a successful resupply of the 2nd Battalion, the attack was resumed at 0800. Some gain was made despite intense small arms fire. The enemy was cleared from the town of Lutrebois and the 1st Battalion assembled in the vicinity of Marvie, prepared to assume the attack. New identifications were made of the 331st Regiment, 167th Volksgrenadier Division, and the 167th Divisional Artillery Brigade. The weather continued cold with frequent snow flurries.

4 January, 1945

At 0700 the 1st Battalion launched an attack, overrunning the enemy forward position. Three enemy officers and approximately fifty men were captured prior to noon, and the Command Post of the 1st Battalion of the 331st Infantry (German) was captured by Co "B".

Also identified were the 339th Regiment and the AT Battalion all of the 167th Division. The 2nd Battalion attempted to continue the attack, but due to enemy action on the right flank was unable to advance. The 3rd Bn continued to hold the town of Lutrebois. At 1630, Co "C", who had driven deep into the enemy positions, began a movement to the southwest in an attempt to make contact with the 3rd Battalion, and by midnight two officers and 40 men reached the Co "G" outpost line. The remainder of the company continued the effort to reach friendly positions.

5 January, 1945

Contact was maintained with the enemy throughout the day and numerous attempts to infiltrate our positions were repulsed, with 85 POW being taken. The 1st Battalion, 320th Infantry was attached to this Regiment at 1415 and moved by truck to a position on the left flank of the 1st Battalion. Enemy mortar and artillery fire continued heavy throughout the day. An attack by the 3rd Battalion to the northeast was driven back by an enemy counterattack after having penetrated 200 yards into the woods northeast of Lutrebois. Our lines were reestablished at the northeast end of that town.

6 January, 1945

During the early morning hours, Companies "A" and "C" (134th Infantry) advanced to the southeast in face of heavy mortar and artillery fire. The 2nd Battalion, at 0730, attempted to secure positions astride the Lutremange-Lutrebois road, but was repulsed by strong enemy fire from positions to the northeast.

7 January, 1945

The 1st Battalion, 320th Infantry, attached to the Regiment, continued to maintain pressure against the enemy, but made little progress due to heavy enemy fire.

8 January, 1945

The Regiment continued to hold its position throughout the daylight hours. A new enemy identification was made, that of the Fusilier Battalion of the 167th Volksgrenadier Division. In the early hours of darkness, the regrouping of troops was accomplished with the 1st Battalion relieving the 1st Battalion, 320th Infantry; the 2nd Battalion relieving the 3rd Battalion, with that unit assembled in the vicinity of Lutrebois. Plans were made for an attack to the southwest in coordination with Task Force Hannin - (1st Battalion, 320th Infantry).

9 January, 1945

While the 1st and 2nd Battalions continued to hold their positions, the 3rd Battalion (134th Infantry) and the 1st Battalion, 320th Infantry launched an attack at 1000 that overpowered stiff opposition from elements of the 387th Regiment, 167th Volksgrenadier Division, a newly committed element in our zone. At one phase of the operation, Company "B", 134th Infantry, with one platoon of tanks attached, was committed to reduce a strong point that was delaying the advance. The operation of the day was successful and brought some coherence to what had been an extremely "fluid" situation for several days.

10 January, 1945

Company "B", with a platoon of medium tanks, reduced a second strongpoint at a crossroad, in preparation for a continuation of the coordinated attack the next day. POW disclosed that the enemy had committed the Engineer Battalion, 167th Volksgrenadier Division in an effort to contain our advance. At 1900 the 2nd Battalion and Cannon Company, of the 320th Infantry were attached to the Regiment for the following operation.

11 January, 1945

At 0800 the Regiment, reinforced by 2 Battalions and Cannon Company of the 320th Infantry, launched an attack to the northeast and advanced against considerable scattered small arms fire, gaining about two kilometers. Constant protection of the right flank was necessary due to strong resistance delaying the Regiment on the right.

12 January, 1945

The Regiment, reinforced, continued to attack to the northeast, encountering scattered enemy positions and some artillery and mortar fire, including one self-propelled gun. The Regimental objective was secured by 1130 and at 1320 the attachments from the 320th Infantry were relieved. One POW was taken from the 14th Regiment, 5th Paratroop Division, but the prisoner had been separated from his unit and contact with that unit was not made by our forces.

13 January, 1945

The 3rd Battalion held the forward positions and maintained contact with the 6th Armored Division on the left and the 90th Infantry Division on the right while the 1st and 2nd Battalions moved to assembly areas at Salvacourt and Hollange respectively.

14 January, 1945

The 3rd Battalion moved to assembly area vicinity Remerville. There was no change of the 1st and 2nd Battalions until 2020 when the 1st Battalion was attached to the 6th Armored Division, but remained in their assembly vicinity of Salvacourt. Reorganization and some small-unit training was continuous for all units.

15 January, 1945

The 1st Battalion moved to vicinity of Marvie as Division reserve, 6th Armored Division.

16 January, 1945

The 2nd and 3rd Battalions continued reorganization and training. The 1st Battalion, attached to CCB, 6th Armored Division, launched an attack at 1320 to the northeast in conjunction with Task Force Wall. At dark had advanced to within 500 yards of the Bourcy-Longvilly road, identifying elements of the 10th Pz Grenadier Regiment, 9th Pz Division.

17 January, 1945

Plans and reconnaissance were made to relieve the 320th Infantry and assume their defensive positions. CT 134 was attached to the 6th Armored Division late in the afternoon. The weather continued cold and cloudy.

18 January, 1945

At 0345 the regiment, less the 1st Battalion, began moving by motor to relieve the 320th Infantry. Relief was completed by 1110 with the 2nd Battalion on the left and the 3rd Battalion on the right of the CT sector. Information from the relieved unit indicated that elements of the 694th and 696th Regiments, the Signal Battalion, and the Artillery Brigade, all of the 340th Volksgrenadier Division, were present to our front. The 1st Battalion reverted to Regimental reserve in the vicinity of Oubourcy and Michamps. The Regimental CP opened two kilometers north and east of Bastogne at 0930. Sporadic artillery and mortar fire were received throughout the period.

19 January, 1945

The CT continued to hold its position maintaining aggressive patrols to the front. Weather was cold, with snow and high wind. Preparations were made for a continuance of the advance to the northeast.

20 January, 1945

Active patrolling in preparation for the advance to the northeast was conducted throughout the period. The 77th Regiment of the 26th Volksgrenadier Division was identified for the first time in our sector.

21 January, 1945

The Regiment (less the 1st Battalion) with the 68th Tank Battalion and Company "C" 603rd Tank Destroyer Battalion of the 6th Armored Division attached, as CT Miltonberger of the 6th Armored Division, advanced in zone without enemy opposition, reaching their objective by 1300 and assembling as Division Reserve. The 1st Battalion remained attached to CCB, 6th Armored Division and moved to assembly vicinity Troine.

22 January, 1945

The 1st Battalion, still attached to CCB, 6th Armored Division, displaced to assembly vicinity Hachiville. The 2nd and 3rd Battalions moved to assembly vicinity Hoffett and Hachiville, making the movement on the tanks of the 68th Tank Battalion. The Regimental CP opened at Troine, Luxembourg.

As CC Miltonberger under 6th Armored Division, the 2nd and 3rd Battalions (reinforced), from positions held on the previous day, continued to advance to the east. The 3rd Battalion (TF Wood) occupied Basbellain and outposted to the northeast, after an advance of approximately 6 kilometers. The 1st Battalion under CCB, 6th Armored Division control remained in position throughout the day. Identifications were made of the 1130th Regiment, 560th Volksgrenadier Division. Large concentrations of artillery fire were received in the Regimental zone.

24 January, 1945

TF Craig was detached from CCB and attached to CCA and moved from its assembly area to the line of departure in halftracks. Rapid advance in the center of CCA zone was made in the face of light artillery fire, but upon reaching the woods south of Wilwerdange, the unit came under heavy artillery fire and small arms fire. This opposition was overcome by 1500 and the west portion of the woods secured.

25 January, 1945

The Regiment minus the 1st Battalion was relieved by elements of the 17th Airborne Division and the unit assembled in the vicinity of Hachiville.

26th January, 1945

The 1st Battalion, again attached to CCB, attacked at 0600 with TF Root to secure the town of Wieswampach and the area to the north and east. TF Craig (our 1st Battalion) upon reaching the edge of the woods in the vicinity of Wieswampach prepared for a final attack on the town. As it cleared the edge of the woods, heavy small arms and mortar fire was received and heavy anti-tank fire prevented the supporting tanks from advancing with the infantry elements. The unit was withdrawn a short distance and prepared to continue the attack early the following morning. The 2nd Battalion relieved elements of the 2nd and 3rd Battalions of the 359th Infantry in the vicinity of Hupperdange and Grindhausen. The 3rd Battalion relieved the 357th Infantry in the vicinity of Heinerschied. All units consolidated positions and patrolled actively to the Our river.

27 January, 1945

The 1st Battalion still with CCB, relieved the 1st Battalion, 328th Infantry on position after an early morning attack that resulted in the seizure of Wieswampach. The 2nd Battalion was relieved by elements of the 3rd Battalion and occupied assembly areas vicinity Hupperdange and Grindhausen as CT Reserve. Some artillery fire, thought to be from positions in the Siegfried Line was received on the forward positions. Enemy in contact were identified as elements of the Todt Organization; elements of the 340th Volksgrenadier Division, including the Field Replacement Battalion; the 5th Heavy Mortar Battalion, 5th Paratroop Division; and the 78th Regiment, 26th Division.

28 January, 1945

The Regiment, the 1st Battalion still with CCB, continued to hold within their respective sectors and sent aggressive patrols to the front.

29 January, 1945

"I" Company (reinforced) attacked and occupied Kalborn at 0530. Enemy resistance consisted of small arms fire and the attack was made without loss to the company. One platoon secured and outposted the town while the remainder of the company again occupied the positions from which the attack was launched. The 1st Battalion (with CCB) continued to hold positions and patrolled to their front.

30 January, 1945

The 1st Battalion continued attachment to CCB. The 3rd Battalion continued to occupy defensive position in CT sector. The 2nd Battalion continued as CT Reserve. All units sent active patrols to the front across the Our river, identifying the 39th Regiment of the 26th Volksgrenadier Division for the first time in our sector.

31 January, 1945

All units held within sector and continued active patrolling. Late in the day, the relief of all units was initiated. TF Britton relieved the 1st Battalion, while TF Harris assumed responsibility for CT Miltonberger sector. CT 134 made preparation for movement to rejoin the 35th Infantry Division.

2. a. The following casualties were incurred during the period:

KIA - Officers 5; Enlisted Men 58
WIA - Officers 10; Enlisted Men 506
MIA - Officers 7; Enlisted Men 513

b. The following awards were made during this period:

SILVER STAR - Officers 5; Enlisted Men 53
SOLDIERS MEDAL - Enlisted Men 2
BRONZE STAR - Officers 6; Enlisted Men 69
BRONZE STAR CLUSTERS - Officers 3; Enlisted Men 6

c. POW evacuated during the period totaled 385.

Colonel, Infantry

Incl - 3

#1 - Unit Journal
2 - S-2 Periodic Reports
3 - S-3 Situation Reports

Download a scanned image of the original document in PDF file format

Download a copy of this report in Microsoft Word format

Return to After Action Report Index

134th Infantry Regiment Home Page

Contact the Webmaster