134th Infantry Regiment Crest

134th Infantry Regiment

"All Hell Can't Stop Us"

35th Infantry Division emblem

35th Infantry Division

Report of Action Against the Enemy - November 1944

Headquarters 35th Infantry Division
APO 35, U.S. Army

10 December 1944

Subject: Action Against the Enemy Report.

To: The Adjutant General, Washington, D. C.

1. In compliance with C-3, Par. 10, AR 345-105, the following report of action against the enemy by the 35th Infantry Division during the period 1 November 1944 to 30 November 1944, inclusive, is submitted.

2. For the 35th Infantry Division, the first day of November came in as quietly as the last day of October went out. The only activity, other than firing of normal artillery missions and active patrolling, was the relief of the 3d Battalion by the 2d Battalion in the 137th Infantry Zone. The relief was completed at 2130. The 3d Battalion assembled in regimental reserve SW of Aboncourt.

Except for a slight increase in enemy artillery fire, the 2d of November brought no change in the Division situation. The 137th Infantry and 134th Infantry continued to defend along the MLR while the 320th Infantry remained in division reserve. Advantage of the lull was taken in that combat training in the form of bazooka, rifle anti-tank grenade and automatic weapons firing was conducted in rear areas for those troops not actually engaged in the front lines.

The next four days the division continued to be inactive. Only minor changes occurred. The 134th Infantry shifted its companies and motorized Company L in its assembly area at Pettoncourt on the 3d of November. On the 6th of November, the 134th Infantry moved its CP from Attilloncourt to Pettoncourt.

On the 8th of November the division began an attack which was to take them to within a few miles of the German Border by the end of the month. The plan was as follows: The XII Corps was to attack NE to seize rail and road facilities in the vicinity of Falkenberg (Faulquemont) prepared to continue the advance to the NE and seize a bridgehead E of the Rhine River. The 35th Infantry Division was to attack NE from its positions NE of Nancy, and upon reaching the first objective, assist the initial advance of the 4th Armored Division, prepared to continue the attack on order and seize successive objectives, relieving the 4th Armored Division on its objective. One CT was to be prepared to motorize and follow the 4th Armored Division or the 6th Armored Division. The 80th Infantry Division was on the left of the 35th Division and the 26th Infantry Division on the right. The 4th Armored Division operated in the zone of the 35th Division and the 6th Armored Division in the zone of the 80th Division.

The division attacked at 0600 to seize its first objective, Laneuveville - Fonteny - SW portion of Foret De Chateau Salins, with the 137th Infantry on the left, the 320th Infantry on the right, and the 134th Infantry in division reserve in Foret De Gremecey. Preceding the attack, division and reinforcing artillery fired a seventy-minute preparation.

The 137th Infantry (w/737th Tk Bn, less Co C, attached) attacked in its zone with the 2d Battalion on the left and the 1st Battalion on the right. By 0730 the 1st Battalion reached the S edge of Jallaucourt where it received heavy enemy fire from the town and the Jure Woods. Overcoming this opposition, the battalion had Company C fighting in Jallaucourt by noon and was in possession of the town by 1700. Company A was ordered to clean out the Jure Woods and accomplished its mission by midnight. Meanwhile, the 2d Battalion concentrated on the neighboring town of Malaucourt. Inside the town by noon, the battalion declared it clear of enemy by 2400 on the 8th.

During this time the 320th Infantry (w/Co C, 737th Tk Bn, attached) tackled Fresnes and the deep dark Foret De Chateau Salins. It attacked with the 3d Battalion on the left and the 2d Battalion on the right. The 3d Battalion moved off against enemy in Fresnes and Company C, 737th Tank Battalion, less one platoon, followed closely by infantry of the 3d Battalion, pushed elements into Fresnes at 0722. The enemy fought desperately, but by dark, two-thirds of the town was captured. In the 2d Battalion Sector, bitter resistance was also met. The battalion advanced approximately 1000 yards under heavy flanking fire and fought its way into the Foret De Chateau Salins by noon, but there it was pinned down. The 1st Battalion attacked to the NE at 1630 and during the night maintained contact between the 2d and 3d Battalions with two reinforced platoons.

The 134th Infantry, in division reserve, assembled in the SE portion of Foret De Gremecey. A covering force was left along the front line to stop any enemy threat in the gap between the 320th Infantry and the 26th Infantry Division.

The attack was resumed at 0600 on the 9th of November. The 2d Battalion, 137th Infantry, seized Lemoncourt, left Company E to clean out the town, and moved on to take Deime and the high ground to the east by dark. Advancing against moderate resistance, the 1st Battalion took Oriocourt and the high ground to the east. It then reorganized and attached Laneuveville taking the town by dark. The 3rd Battalion assembled in Oriocourt in regimental reserve.

The 320th Infantry continued to attack NE in Foret De Chateau Salins on the 9th of November. At 1340 the 1st Battalion entered the forest and attacked in conjunction with the 2d Battalion and reached a line about one-third of the way through the woods. The 3d Battalion had cleared Fresnes.

The 134th Infantry was committed at 1200 on the 9th of November. The 3d Battalion, attacking NE at 1200, cleared the woods S. of Coutures, seizing the town at 1730. The 2d Battalion attacked NE at 1300 and despite stiff resistance, reached the high ground N of Coutures at 1750.

The attack continued on 10 November at 0700. The 1st Battalion, 137th Infantry, advanced from Laneuveville, encountering heavy fire from west edge of Foret De Chateau Salins, while the 2d Battalion pushed on from vicinity of Delme to occupy most of Viviers by 1800. In the 320th Infantry Sector, the 3d Battalion attacked NE under heavy artillery and mortar fire. To stop enemy infiltration, the 2d Battalion moved up at 1545.

On the right, the 134th Infantry continued its advance. The 2d Battalion advanced to the high ground SW of Gerbecourt where it met still opposition. At 1555 the 3d Battalion was committed on the left of the 2d Battalion. The 1st Battalion moved to an assembly area vicinity of Amelecourt.

At 0800 on the 11th of November, the unrelenting attack continued. The 2d Battalion, 137th Infantry, with Company B, 737th Tank Battalion in support, attacked toward the woods NE of Viviers and succeeded in clearing it. To attack Faxe, the next town in the battalion's path, a task force composed of Company F of the 2d Battalion and Company B of the 737th Tank Battalion, was formed. The task force ran into a hornet's nest of Germans armed with machine guns and dug in behind an AT ditch, impassable to tanks. The initial assault failed, so an artillery preparation was placed on the town. The enemy continued to hold. Company K was then attached to the task force and, after bitter fighting, the town was secured the next morning. Meanwhile, the 1st Battalion, with Company A, 737th Tank Battalion, in support, fought bitterly at Fonteny; entered the town at 1330, continued fighting until 0400 on the 12th, when relieved by the 3d Battalion. By 1200 on 12 November, the 3d Battalion had cleared the town and advanced to positions beyond it.

The 320th Infantry pushed on in its zone, meeting slight enemy resistance. By 1625 on the 11th of November the 1st Battalion, on the left, occupied a line about one-half of the way through Foret De Chateau Salins. On the right, the 3d Battalion pushed to positions slightly forward of the 1st Battalion. Both battalions consolidated during the night and on the morning of 12 November continued the advance. The 2d Battalion was in regimental reserve. Previously, during the afternoon of the 11th of November, Company C, 737th Tank Battalion, was relieved from attachment to the 320th Infantry and attached to the 134th Infantry.

In the 134th Infantry Zone, the regiment continued to advance. By 1200 on 12 November it had progressed beyond Vannecourt. The 2d Battalion was in the town and the 3d Battalion had reached the road extending NW from the town.

During the afternoon and evening of November 12th, the division continued to gain ground. The 137th Infantry captured Chateau Brehain and Brehain, the 320th Infantry reached the N edge of Foret De Chateau Salins and prepared to enter division reserve, and the 134th Infantry seized the towns of Dalhain and Bellange.

At 0800 on the 13th of November, the 35th Infantry Division attacked for the sixth straight day. The 2d Battalion, 137th Infantry, initially slowed down by heavy mortar and artillery fire, advanced and seized Marthville at 1700, pushed on, and reached the ridge of Destry by dark. The 3d Battalion in the meantime attacked from Brehain.

The 134th Infantry's 1st Battalion attacked and cleared Haboudange by 1225. The Battalion continued the attack to the N on Pevange. The 2d and 3d Battalions pushed on in their zones. The 3d Battalion reached the high ground N of Achain, and elements of the 2d Battalion entered the town at 1245. Fighting continued there all night.

At 0900 on the 14th of November the attack was resumed. In the 137th Infantry Sector, the 2d Battalion continued the attack and seized Destry by dusk. The 3d Battalion advanced on Baronville where it met extremely bitter resistance. After several unsuccessful assaults, the battalion finally succeeded in seizing it after bitter house-to-house fighting. The 1st Battalion remained in regimental reserve vicinity of Marthville.

Despite severe enemy artillery and mortar fire, the 134th Infantry succeeded in pushing on on 14 November. The 3d Battalion seized Hill 319, the 2d Battalion occupied Rode and the 1st Battalion in quick succession took Hills 273, 260 and 257.

The 320th Infantry remained in division reserve, but the 2d Battalion moved to Bellange and then to Pevange for possible employment with the 134th Infantry.

The drive continued at 0900 on 15 November. The 137th Infantry's 2d Battalion out-posted Rotte Rau and established contact with the 319th Infantry, of the 80th Division, while the 3d Battalion seized Hill 264 during the afternoon. The 737th Tank Battalion, less Company C, reverted to division control at 1900.

The 134th Infantry drove into the town of Morhange. The 2d and 3d Battalions cleared the town by 1500 and moved to the railroad track NE of the town, the division's final objective for the operation, at 1615. The 1st Battalion moved to the east with the mission of securing Racrange. Company C, 737th Tank Battalion, was released from attachment to the 134th Infantry at 1900 and reverted to battalion control.

The 35th Infantry Division had reached its objective. From its positions on 8 November in the Foret De Gremecey, the division had advanced twelve miles in seven days through mud, rain, difficult terrain against stiff opposition.

Following is a list of captured or destroyed enemy materiel:

Chateau Salins Wood, Morhange Engagements

105mm Arty. Pieces - 6
Arty. Prime Movers - 5
75mm Field Pieces (Light Inf. Gun) - 3
SP Gun - 1
Rifles - 399
Machine Pistols - 114
Machine Guns - 191
Bazookas - 5
Mortars - 18
AA Guns - 13
AT Guns - 30
Howitzers (75) - 4
88mm Guns - 15
105mm Guns - 4
Motorcycles - 6
Trucks, Cargo - 3
Half-Tracks - 9
Tanks - 16
Wagon Load Barbed Wire - 1
Mines - 274
Ammunition Dumps - 3
Truck Loads Ammunition - 2
Small Arms Ammunition - 95,000 Rounds
Artillery Ammunition - 4,055 Rounds
Bazooka Ammunition - 500 Rounds
Automatic Rifles - 9
Pistols - 11
Grenades - 15,000
Command Car - 1
88mm Ammunition - 250 Rounds
Hand Wagons - 15
Chow Wagons - 3

Morhange Sector

AT Guns (88mm) - 6
AT Guns (75mm) - 8
AA Guns (20mm) - 6
Mortars - 20
Machine Guns - 68
SP Guns (75) - 2
SP Guns (88) - 1
105mm Guns - 2
Machine Pistols - 57
Rifles - 494
Automatic Rifles - 10
Bazookas - 44
Pistols - 36
Grenades - 96
Ammunition (Rifle) - 10 Boxes
Ammunition (Small Arms) - 5,000
Ammunition (Arty.) - 50 Rounds
Ammunition (120mm Mortar) - 30 Rounds
Ammunition (80mm Mortar) - 260 Rounds
Ammunition (20mm) - 600 Rounds
Half-Tracks - 6
Personnel Carriers - 2
Tanks - 12
2 ½ Ton Trucks - 7
Panel Body Truck - 1
Command Car - 1
Full Track Prime Mover - 1
Ambulance - 1
Jeeps (1 American Recaptured) - 2

On 16 November the front line troops dried their clothes and cleaned their weapons while higher headquarters planned the next operation. The order was issued at 1200 on 17 November. It called for the 35th Division to attack NE at 0800 on 18 November and seize a bridgehead over the Saar River. On the left, the 80th Infantry Division was to seize the high ground S of Falkenberg; to interdict road and rail facilities in that town. The 26th Division was to advance NE on the right. CCB of the 6th Armored Division supported the 35th. The division plan was as follows: The 137th and 320th Infantry Regiments were to advance abreast, 137th on the left, followed by CCB; and the 320th Infantry on the right, followed by the 134th Infantry. The 134th Infantry and the 737th Tank Battalion were to constitute division reserve. The leading regiments each had a company of tank destroyers and a company of engineers in direct support.

At 0800 on 18 November, the attack began. The 137th Infantry with the 3d and 1st Battalions, 3d Battalion on the left, advanced against light resistance. Taking Harprich and Bening inside of an hour, the 1st Battalion had seized Berig Vintrange by nightfall while the 3d Battalion occupied Bistroff.

The 320th Infantry moved off with the 1st and 2d Battalions leading, the 2d Battalion on the right. They also met only light resistance, even though the 2d Battalion received considerable heavy machine gun and mortar fire from Bermering. By noon the 2d Battalion was assaulting Bermering from the N and the 1st Battalion had passed to the NE of Vallerange. The attack continued until late evening.

The 134th Infantry remained in division reserve.

At 0800 on the 19th of November, the 1st Battalion, 137th Infantry, attacked toward Bertring, reaching an AT ditch west of the town with CCB, 6th Armored Division, by noon, meeting heavy tank, SP gun and small arms fire. The 1st Battalion managed to penetrate the enemy defenses in Bertring and enter the town, but CCB was held up until a crossing could be made. After the crossing, the 1st Battalion and the tanks continued the attack to Gros Tenquin, assaulting the town heavily before seizing it. They then captured and outposted Hills 305 and 272 NE of the village and held the positions until passed through by the 2d Battalion and CCB at 0900 on the 20th of November. Meanwhile the 3d Battalion held its position E of Bistroff, repelling several small counterattacks and knocking out two tanks.

In the 320th Infantry sector, the 2d Battalion had difficulty taking Bermering. Finally overcoming strong resistance, it succeeded in clearing the town at 0745 on the 19th of November. The 1st Battalion continued the attack, but was held up at Hill 265. Leaving Company A to contain the enemy on the hill, Companies B and C went on to seize Linstroff at 0225 on 20 November. The 3d Battalion previously had passed through the 2d Battalion. Held up initially at the small woods about a mile E of Racrange, the battalion, with the assistance of elements of the 4th Armored Division, using roads in the Division Sector, attacked and cleared Virming by 1715.

The offensive continued on the 20th of November. The 2d Battalion, 137th Infantry, was held up in the woods E of Gros Tenquin the entire day by small arms, mortar, direct gun, and artillery fire. The 3d Battalion likewise met with stiff resistance and had not taken Freybouse by the end of the day.

The 320th Infantry advanced on the 20th of November. The 1st Battalion occupied Erstroff and by dark had reached the E edge of the woods N of the town. Behind elements of CCA of the 4th Armored Division, the 3d Battalion entered Francaltroff, cleared the town by nightfall and assembled there as regimental reserve. The 2d Battalion moved from Bermering to Obrick.

The 21st of November found the drive continuing. In the 137th sector, the 3d Battalion overran resistance in Freybouse with the aid of a tank force from the 6th Armored Division and seized the town by 1200. The battalion and task force then turned their attention on Fremestroff and cleared the town by dark after very heavy fighting. Then the 3d Battalion prepared to move to the east as regimental reserve. During this period the 2d Battalion moved on Hellimer with Task Force Three of the 6th Armored Division, and after much difficulty occupied the town, knocking out two tanks and capturing one in perfect condition. The 1st Battalion moved during darkness to vicinity of Hellimer.

The 320th Infantry had its 1st Battalion continue to attack E on 21 November, but it was slowed down considerably by fire from Hellimer. The 2d Battalion also moved forward, but was held up after taking Hill 261. At dark the battalion advanced to positions N, S and W of Grening.

At 1500 on the 22d of November an order was issued by XII Corps which changed the mission of the division. Under the plan the division was to be pinched out after an advance of from four to five kilometers. The 80th Infantry Division, 4th Armored Division and the 6th Armored Division were to continue the attack to the NE. The 26th Infantry Division, on the right, was also to be pinched out. The 134th Infantry was attached to the 6th Armored Division at 1500.

On the 22d November, the 1st Battalion, 137th Infantry, attacked toward Leyviller and after a vicious battle, moved SE toward St. Jean Rohrbach. The battalion fought its way into the town and outposted it. The 2d Battalion moved from Hellimer to attack the neighboring town of Diffembach and seized the town after a hard fight. It then went on to the forest E of Diffembach. There is repelled a counterattack, inflicting heavy casualties on the enemy. The 3d Battalion moved as regimental reserve to Leyviller, closing into the town by dark.

The 320th Infantry on the 22d of November drove on Petit Tenquin and Grening. At Grening at 0105, five enemy tanks, supported by infantry, attacked the 2d Battalion positions, causing two companies to fall back. At 0630, the 3d Battalion moved up to assist the 2d Battalion in taking the town. At the same time the 2d Battalion managed to restore its original positions. The enemy was stubborn and determined and launched another attack at 1050 against Company G, S of town. Artillery and infantry fire broke up the attack causing the enemy to fall back. The enemy in this small town remained aggressive. At noon they used their tanks to fire direct fire on the 3d Battalion and E Company in the woods N of the town. To nullify the effect of the fire, the troops pulled back into the woods. Tank destroyers could not be brought up because of adverse ground conditions and mine fields. A patrol from Company L managed to enter the town during the afternoon and harass the enemy with grenades and small arms fire. The situation remained the same during the night and the next morning, when the 2d and 3d Battalions entered the town, and discovered the enemy had withdrawn. Meanwhile the 1st Battalion had entered Petit Tenquin at 0700 on 23 November and declared the town free of enemy.

On the 23d of November, the attack moved off at 0800. The 1st Battalion, 137th Infantry, attacked Hilsprich and managed to get Companies A and C into the town and had about half of it when a strong counterattack by 150 enemy infantrymen and five tanks drove them out at 2130. Both companies received many casualties and on the 24th, the battalion withdrew to St. Jean Rohrbach to reorganize. The 2d Battalion, after seizing Hill 235, left Company F to outpost the hill and withdrew to Diffembach.

Patrols were sent out the morning of 24 November to cover the remainder of the 137th Infantry Zone. The 3d Battalion occupied Leyviller, Altrippe and Fremestroff.

In the 320th Infantry Sector, on 23 November, the 1st Battalion attacked from Petit Tenquin at 0700 and seized Petit Rohrbach, Company B occupying the town at 2030. On 24 November the battalion resumed the attack and partially occupied Uberkinger. The 3d Battalion moved from Grening to Nelling on the 23rd of November, occupying the town by 2030 and during the next morning attacked Rening and Insming; and, by noon, had Company L in Insming and one platoon from the battalion in Rening.

During the afternoon of 24 November, the 137th Infantry continued reorganization of its 1st Battalion in the vicinity of St. Jean Rohrbach and the remainder of the regiment made no moves.

The 1st Battalion, 320th Infantry, completed clearing out Uberkinger. With bazookas it knocked out one tank, one half-track, and one captured American one-quarter ton truck.

On 25 November the 2d Battalion, 137th Infantry, occupied Hilsprich and Morsbonn during the afternoon. The 3d Battalion continued defending the division N flank at Fremestroff, Altrippe and Leyviller. The 320th Infantry attacked and took Hazembourg with one company at 1425. The 1st Battalion had occupied Kappelkinger and Ventzviller during the morning.

The division held on 26 November.

On the 27th and 28th of November, the greater portion of the division assembled in rear areas for a rest. The 137th Infantry, less the 3d Battalion, moved to new assembly positions vicinity of Bening, Bistroff and Harprich. The 3d Battalion remained in positions at Fremestroff, Altrippe and Leyviller. The 320th Infantry moved to vicinity of Pontpierre and Guessling. The 1st Battalion, however, remained in its front line position until relieved by the 2d Battalion, 104th Infantry of the 26th Infantry Division, at 0200 on the 28th. It became attached to the 137th Infantry for that period, after which it was released to the 320th Infantry and moved to Vahl. The 134th Infantry, although released from attachment to the 6th Armored Division at 1430 on the 27th, remained in its original positions.

Except for the movement of the 134th Infantry to an assembly area in the vicinity of Lixing, Vahl-Ebertsing, Lelling and Biding; the remainder of the month was spent in combat training and rehabilitation.

The 35th Infantry Division had spent its fifth month in combat in World War II, driving back a stubborn, determined enemy twenty-seven miles through mud, sleet and rain, to within fifteen miles of Germany Proper.

3. Battle casualties for the 35th Infantry Division during November 1944 were as follows:

Kill in Action - 303
Died of Wounds - 46
Seriously Wounded in Action - 127
Seriously Injured in Action - 1
Lightly Wounded in Action - 1422
Lightly Injured in Action - 161
Missing in Action - 101
Captured - 14
Total - 2175

4. The number of prisoners of war captured by the 35th Infantry Division during November 1944 was 2, 309.

5. Awards received by member of the 35th Infantry Division during November 1944 were as follows:

Approved by this Headquarters

Silver Star Medal

Regular Post MIA Cluster
Officers 19 1 1 1
Enlisted Men 28 12 2 1

Soldier's Medal

Officers 1
Enlisted Men 0

Bronze Star Medal

Regular Post MIA Cluster
Officers 54 3 0 2
Enlisted Men 217 7 2 21

Air Medal

Regular Cluster
Officers 5 13
Enlisted Men 0 1

Purple Heart Awards - 465; Cluster - 58

Approved by Higher Headquarters

Distinguished Service Cross

Regular Post.
Officers 0 2
Enlisted Men 2 2

Legion of Merit

Officers 2
Enlisted Men 0

Silver Star

Officers 4
Enlisted Men 1

Forwarded to Higher Headquarters

Distinguished Service Cross

Regular Post.
Officers 0 0
Enlisted Men 2 1

Distinguished Flying Cross

Officers 1
Enlisted Men 0

Bronze Star Medal

Officers 1
Enlisted Men 0

For the Commanding General:

Richard G. Chadwick
Lt. Colonel, A. G. D.
Adjutant General

5 Incls.

Incl 1. G-1 Journal w/supporting papers.
Incl 2. G-2 Journal w/supporting papers.
Incl 3. G-3 Journal w/supporting papers.
Incl 4. G-4 Journal
Incl 5. G.O. 49 thru 54, Hq 35th Inf Div, published during the month of Nov 44.

Transcribed by Roberta V. Russo
Palatine, IL

Download a scanned image of the actual report in PDF file format

Download a copy of this report in Microsoft Word format

Return to After Action Report Index

134th Infantry Regiment Home Page

Contact the Webmaster